Saturday, September 10, 2005

This Morning at the Greensboro Farmers' Curb Market

Since our kids have become teenagers and our schedules have gotten busier, we don't put as much effort into cooking as we used to. And so we don't take the best advantage of one our nicest neighborhood amenities -- the Greensboro Farmers' Curb Market on the corner of Yanceyville and Homeland Avenue.

But today was just too good a day not to go. So I ambled over at about 8 a.m., and shot this nice view of the busy parking lot with War Memorial Stadium in the background (and what a handsome piece of architecture that is).

The place was really hopping, as it is every Saturday morning from Spring through Fall. Thousands come every week.

The tomatoes and eggplants are lustrous, practially luminsescent with all the sunlight they've been absorbing for the past few months.

And these peppers looked so tasty and colorful that I was tempted to pick one up and take a big bite out of it like the host of the Iron Chef.

I always want to buy honey when I come here because I have a fascination with beekeeping that I picked up from reading book 4 of Vergil's Georgics too many times. But we don't actually eat very much honey, so I just took this picture of the sun shining through it while the vendor talked to my neighbor Tracy.

The young watermelon vendor in the parking lot seems to prefer urban dress, but I think he's realy a countryman. Either way, he's very nice, and his melons are good.

The Greensboro Principle kicks in big timewhen I'm here. What's the Greensboro Principle? It says that you can't go anywhere in Greensboro without meeting someone you know. Lately, I can't go anywhere without running into 5 or six people I know.

Among the 7 friends I met this morning was Jill Fuller, a UNCG sociology professor. She told me that not only does she come to the market every week, but she has out-of-town friends who insist on visiting whenever they're in Greensboro. It's kind of a happening for them.

The market is that kind of place -- pleasant, festive, full of local flavor (in every sense), cool, a bit funky, and just a little underappreciated by the natives.

If you haven't been there, you should really go. It's neat.

Oh, and did I mention that it has great produce? And Goat Lady cheese? and Cheesecakes by Alex? And . . . lots of other great stuff.

No comments: