Saturday, September 3, 2005

Greensboro Neighbors Help Katrina Refugees

This just came in the mail from my neighbor Mebane Ham:

At 6:30 this morning I received a phone call from the Volunteer Center. Greensboro was going to be receiving 300-500 evacuees from the New Orleans area and needed some help. Could I find 10 volunteers to help set up the sleeping cots for these unfortunate victims?

No problem, I said, trying to wake up and figure what planet I was on, much less where I would find folks to give up their Saturday during a holiday weekend. Yet, knowing what neighborhood I live in, I figured it wouldn't be a problem.

And actually, it was no problem at all. With a few well placed phone calls and a little bit of a wait for the American Red Cross, we were off setting up mats at the Coliseum. By noon we had almost 400 mats set up and waiting for their occupants.

As of this email our New Orleans guests have not arrived but are expected late today. Much support will be needed to care for our guests. Everything from serving food, finding more perrmanent shelter and transportation.

Please give the The Volunteer Center (373.1633) a call if you can offer any time or services.

Thanks to everyone for their willingness to help. You are what makes this neighborhood GREAT!

Here's a photo that Mebane took of the sleepy volunteers getting organized:

Greensboro is full of people and neighborhoods like this, you know. It's one of our little secrets.

UPDATE: The Governor makes it official, though the N.C. Helping Neighbors Fund. Hat tip to Mark Binker.

No comments: