Thursday, June 23, 2005

Two Scooter Conversations

Is it a trend?

Someone else has been parking a motor scooter in front of the McIver building every morning next to mine. I parked next to another one at the Central Library last week. And I seem to be seeing more of them around town -- but maybe that's just because I'm looking.


Anyway, as I parked mine in front of the office today, two university maintenance men started asking me questions: How many mpg? (80.) Do you need a license? (No.) Is it fun? (Yes.)

One of them said, "I oughta just move in closer and get me one of those."

Earlier in the day, I had a slightly different conversation about the scooter. I was at the Bessemer Curb Market picking up some milk for breakfast. A delivery man was out front.

"Nice bike," he said. I thanked him.

"That's not a 'drunk bike,' is it?" No, I still have my driver's license. I drive it because I like it, not because I have to.

"Well, I'm just pickin' at you. Don't mean anything by it. I'm Rochester, you know, and you're Jack Benny, if you know what I mean." I'm just barely old enough to know; the delivery man was 71, and guessed my age within a year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a rather rough-looking dude who rides up and down Eugene Street daily on the loudest moped I've ever heard! He has a milk crate bungeed to the back and a long flag pole attached with a rebel flag adorned.

David Wharton said...

Sorry . . . new muffler's on order.

Anonymous said...

No, David did not author the comment. The guy looks like a drunk on a moped with a rebel flag flying behind it. Oh, and the moped sounds like a garbage truck coming down the street. I would catagorize him as a "rather rough-looking dude". Why do you ask? Are YOU the rather rough-looking, drunk, rebel flag flying, loud moped man, SD???

Anonymous said...

Indeed??? Give me a break on the "indeed", SD. Go play with your telescope.